Project 2: Building a Drone
The purpose of this project is to incorporate employability skills (teamwork, problem solving,
verbal communication, written communication, dependability/work ethic, and planning and organizing
skills) into activities that focus on designing and building a drone.
This project is divided into four main activities:
- Activity 1: Drone design and parts
- (Option A): Design of drone and production of specified components with
the use of Solid Works software and 3-D printers. The project teams will execute the
design and production of specified drone parts.
- (Option B): Project teams will select a standard commercial drone
design and procure commercially manufactured parts needed to complete drone assembly.
- Activity 2: Drone assembly. Project teams will assemble the different
parts of the drone.
- Activity 3: Prepare for end-user/consumer. Creation of instructions
for safe operation of the drone.
- Activity 4: Professional presentation. The project team will deliver
a formal presentation to the project supervisor for final approval of the drone to be
placed into service.
Courses for Implementation:
- Introduction to Electronics
- Solid works Fundamentals
- Industrial Safety
- Introduction to Quality
- Materials and Process 1
- Introduction to Machining
Key Terms/Major Topics:
Mechanical Assembly (Mechatronics)
Standard classroom technology equipment (computer, projector, etc.)
Computer with SolidWorks software
Computers with Internet access and presentation software (Microsoft
PowerPoint, Apple Keynote, Powtoon or Prezi, etc.)
- adjustable temperature soldering iron
- solder pot
- de soldering equipment
- flux cleaner
- wire cutters
- wire strippers
Heat shrink tubing (different colors/sizes)
Radio Transmitter/Receiver for each drone assembly
3D printer if 3D CAD design option of the project is used
Miscellaneous drone parts as needed